A message has been told about a ship sailing out of sight on the horizon and we are standing there watching it, longing for its passenger who has left us. The message goes on to remind us of others who are waiting beyond the horizon, anxiously watching and beginning to see the sails come into their sight. And that is how it is with this life. As our loved ones leave us here on earth, others are anxiously awaiting their arrival on the other side of the veil which separates us from this life and the next.
This week my dear father set sail away from us and I could imagine the sails of his ship slipping out of my sight. And at the same moment that I could no longer view the sails, I could visualize his parents and sisters and other dear ones standing on a far away shore watching anxiously for the first glimpse of those sails coming in to harbor ...safely home.
I miss Dad so much. I caught myself looking around the breakfast table this morning as the family sat eating at a nearby restraunt. I wanted to see how he was doing with all the chatter going on and thinking how hard it is for him to hear what people are saying. And then I rememered... he is not sitting with us....But....perhaps already he can hear perfectly. And if not now, then soon.... The promise of Jesus Christ's resurrection is powerful and great.... See Luke Chapter 24:36-53 (Be sure to read from the Original King James Version for the most correct translation available. This is an area which has become unclear and misleading in some modern translations and simplifications.) Here we read that the Savior was truly resurrected from the sepulchre and walked the road to Emmaus appearing with a body of flesh and bones (as he said he is not a spirit: he has flesh and bones which is a resurrected soul...that reunited body and spirit...not of blood which is corruptible but in a form which the apostles could actually see and feel), eats food, testifies of his divinity, and promises the Holy Ghost to his disciples to comfort, guide, and testify of Him that parted from them and ascended up to heaven. See John 20: 24-31 The disciples received the priviledge of seeing the resurrected Savior. Thomas, in his doubting, was given the privilege of seing His wounds and to thrust his finger into the Lord's side and hands. The bible gives us clear assurance of the everlasting plan of life.
During the last few days with Dad at home and then in the hospital, we had some cherished moments that will remain beautiful memories that offer strength and hope as we go on here without him near us. My brother Scott, his dear friend Sheila, my sister Donna, and myself (Wendy) were able to spend the night in his hospital room. We were able to stand at his bedside and hold his hand and pat his hair as we talked, and prayed, and sang, and wept. I will be forever greatful for the great gift we received as a visiting hospital chaplain offered a prayer with us at dad's bedside. As the pastor closed "amen," Dad instantly continued with a beautiful clear strong prayer of his own. He spoke with faith, directly to God with thankfulness and peace. As we all gave our amens, we knew that God's Holy Spirit was attending us. I know that God lives and hears and answers all our prayers and this was an incredible testimony building experience.
Well, it is late and much more could be said. But for now I will leave it with my love and prayers to my family and most especially to my own mother. Mom must now find the courage and the faith to carry on what she and Dad have spent years developing: family. Fifty-eight years of marriage seems like a lot, but it is just few steps along the pathway to eternity.
Remember yesterday, make today count, and reach for tomorrow.....
I love you,
Mom
Saturday, September 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment